Are you tired of getting cookie-cutter diagnoses from doctors and professionals who don’t really seem to care that much about you as a human? I mean, sure, a prescription here and a health suggestion there are helpful in the short term to relieve some symptoms, but what about the long term? What about getting to the root causes of these recurring health issues?
I’m sure you’ve heard the term ‘holistic health’, but what about holistic health combined with telemedicine – too good to be true? Parsley Health is an awesome team of people that incorporates a science-backed, clinically-proven approach to treating illnesses, symptoms, and diseases by applying conventional medicine’s best tools and techniques with lifestyle changes, nutrition, and supplements.
Table of Contents
If you’re considering Parsley Health for your functional medicine needs, you probably have some questions. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about Parsley Health, from the basics of its membership model, to its positioning in the market, to reviews from actual patients. So by the end of this (quick) read, you’ll have a better idea of whether or not Parsley Health is the right fit for you.
In This Post
- Parsley Health is a membership-based primary care practice that takes an integrative and preventative approach to medicine.
- The company offers both in-person and virtual care options, as well as a variety of testing and diagnostic services.
- Parsley Health membership starts at $175 a month, or $1950 billed annually.
- Parsley Health is a good fit for people interested in exploring natural and alternative treatment options.
Best online holistic medicine options: Parsley Health vs Vytal Health vs In-person functional medicine doctors
To make things easier in your (I’m sure) extensive search for the best online integrative holistic medicine options, here’s all of the need-to-know information about Parsley vs its competitors.
What Sets Parsley Health Apart From Holistic Medicine Practitioners?
Parsley Health was founded in 2016 by Dr. Robin Berzin to create a more convenient and affordable option for patients interested in exploring natural and alternative treatment options.
It is a membership-based primary care practice that offers patients a turnkey solution to their wellness needs. Through a combination of both therapies and lifestyle changes, Parsley Health focuses on treating and healing the whole person.
Their integrative medicine approach is oriented explicitly toward chronic illness reversal and total health optimization rather than acute care, which is ideal for patients with recurrent problems (like chronic fatigue). Rather than spending thousands of dollars on short-term medications to treat these frequent problems, some believe it’s best to take a holistic approach to prevent them from occurring again or, if they do occur, to reduce their severity. After all, prevention is the best cure! 😉
Parsley Health offers both in-person and virtual care options and connects every patient it works with to a holistic team of specialists, including:
- Doctors: Every Parsley Health team is led by a board-certified doctor with advanced training in functional medicine.
- Health Coaches: Dedicated case workers who provide one-on-one support to patients as they work to reach their health goals.
- Care Managers: Make sure everything on the back end of a patient’s treatment goes smoothly, handling things like scheduling, labs, insurance, and FSA/HSA questions.
Parsley Health operates under the philosophy that prevention is the best cure for chronic conditions. The company seeks to provide people with a long-term solution to their needs rather than simply masking the symptoms with medications.
There are definitely other holistic medicine practitioners out there. So what sets Parsley apart?
Parsley Digs Deep: While other healthcare providers tend to focus on the surface level, Parsley Health takes a deep dive into each patient’s individual case to find the root cause of their chronic condition. Their doctors take every measure necessary – from advanced tests to in-depth questionnaires – to understand each patient on a cellular level.
Parsley Goes for the Root Cause: Most chronic conditions have numerous underlying causes. And while other healthcare providers may only focus on one or two of those causes, Parsley Health seeks to address all of them. By taking a comprehensive approach, they can provide patients with a much more complete solution.
Parsley is Dedicated: By your side throughout the entire process, Parsley’s team of dedicated wellness professionals supports you every step of the way as you work to improve your health.
Parsley Has Proven Itself Effective: Parsley reports that 80% of its patients improve or completely resolve their chronic conditions within one year of membership. That’s a pretty impressive success rate!
How effective is Integrative Medicine?
Integrative care is a type of healthcare that focuses on the whole person – mind, body, and spirit. It considers all aspects of a person’s life, including their physical health, mental well-being, relationships, and environment.
Through functional medicine, integrative care models focus on the root cause of disease rather than just treating the symptoms. Below are some of the most common ways of using integrative care.
- To treat chronic conditions – ex: pain, fatigue, anxiety, and depression.
- To prevent or manage health problems – ex: heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
- Treatments take on a variety of modalities, such as dietary changes, acupuncture, massage therapy, yoga, meditation, and nutritional counseling.
Given the advent of medical pluralism (the availability of different medical approaches, treatments, and institutions), no single system of medicine can meet all the healthcare requirements of contemporary society. Additionally, there is growing concern over the negative effects of chemical medications and the need for more readily available care.
While Integrative medicine seems like a rather new concept, it has existed for a very long time, dating back to three thousand years in India. Due to its undeniable effectiveness, even WHO has been adopting and supporting the Member States to integrate traditional medicine into national health systems.
According to research, the consultation process and comprehensive approach used by alternative/integrative medicine practitioners make patients feel more in control of their illnesses. Additionally, following therapy with supplementary IM therapies, cardiovascular inpatients reported statistically significant reductions in pain and anxiety. Patients who received IM therapy experienced a 46.5% drop in pain and a 54.8% decrease in anxiety.
Conventional medicine is a term used to describe the type of healthcare that you’re probably most aware of – the one that is typically practiced in the Western world. It is based solely on immediately available scientific evidence and mainly on treating disease.
Conventional medicine often uses a reductionist approach, which means that it looks at each person as a collection of parts rather than a whole. For example, a doctor may treat a patient’s symptoms without considering the underlying cause.
Conventional medicine is effective in treating many acute conditions, such as infections and injuries, but usually only treats the “here and now” rather than focusing on what could be underlying (and what will continue to crop up if not treated!).
What’s it Like Being a Patient With Parsley Health?
One of Parsley Health’s biggest appeals is that it’s an all-in-one solution for patients. You’re not just getting primary care with Parsley; you’re also getting access to a team of specialists, health coaches, and care managers who will help you at every step.
Parsley Health is also unique in that it’s a membership-based service. This means that there’s an ongoing relationship between patients and their care team, which allows for a much more personalized level of care. A pretty compelling argument, when we’re talking about our literal health.
Parsley Health holistic medical practitioners: How do you get started?
Alright, so what does the actual intake process for Parsley look like?
For starters, schedule your initial consultation with a Parsley specialist. Duh. This is where you’ll discuss your health history and symptoms and start to develop a personalized treatment plan.
From there, you’ll be able to select your care team and schedule your 60-minute initial medical appointment. During this appointment, your clinician will discuss your health history and symptoms in depth and start to develop a personalized treatment plan. They may also order tests to better understand your condition(s).
After your initial appointment, you’ll work with your care team to implement your treatment plan. This may involve regular check-ins, medication adjustments, lifestyle changes, and more.
What types of Conditions Does Parsley Health Treat?
Parsley Health addresses many of the same conditions integrative medicine does: chronic, complex, and often rooted in lifestyle factors, such as:
- Autoimmune diseases
- Digestive disorders
- Hormonal imbalances
- Mental health conditions
- Chronic fatigue
- Lyme disease
- Weight issues
While Parsley Health can provide care for nearly any condition, these are some of the most common conditions that they see in their patients. Coexisting conditions are also often treated simultaneously.
How Much Does a Parsley Health Membership Cost?
Membership with Parsley Health starts at $175 a month, or $1950 billed annually. Every subscription includes:
- Five visits with a board-certified doctor: You’ll have access to a primary care provider, specialists, and coaches, all of whom are board-certified.
- In-depth questionnaires: Before your first visit, you’ll complete extensive questionnaires about your health history and symptoms.
- Personalized treatment plans: Your care team will develop a personalized treatment plan based on your unique needs.
- Advanced testing for underlying issues: Membership with Parsley affords you access to advanced testing and specialist care that can help you get to the root cause of your symptoms.
- Health coaching: You’ll have access to health coaches who can help you make lifestyle changes and reach your health goals.
- Unlimited messaging between visits: If you have questions or concerns, you can reach out to your care team via the Parsley Health app.
Is Parsley covered by insurance?
The short answer is no; health insurance plans do not entirely cover Parsley Health costs. However, FSA/HSA can be used to pay for clinical fees, tests, and supplements, and some members may also get up to 70% of their membership fees reimbursed as out-of-network medical care costs.
Who is Parsley Health a good fit for?
Parsley Health is a good fit for people who:
- Are interested in exploring natural and alternative treatment options
- Are looking for a primary care provider that takes a holistic, integrative approach to health on a highly personalized level (lifestyle changes, dietary changes, etc.)
- Are looking for symptom improvement during the course of a disease when traditional treatments are fairly limited (such as in the case of cancer)
- Are looking for a provider that is passionate about preventive care and helping people maintain their health and well-being
- Are seeking long-term symptom reduction
- Appreciate unlimited, around the clock messaging with your provider
Parsley Health Reviews: What are other Parsley Health Customers Saying?
Here are some reviews from real Parsley Health patients that we found through outside sources. Overall, members are very happy with their experiences, outcomes, and life changes in working with Parsley. The biggest thing to consider, which many have debated over the years, is whether you think functional medicine is the right approach for you.
tl;dr – Is Parsley Health’s Functional Medicine Legit?
Overall, Parsley Health is an accessible, high-quality functional medicine provider that takes a comprehensive, individualized approach to patient care.
Although it’s not covered by insurance, it’s still an affordable option for those looking for an alternative to traditional Western medicine. If you’re interested in functional medicine and are looking for a provider, Parsley Health is definitely worth checking out.