Manual’s hair loss treatments include prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) products, such as topical minoxidil spray, oral finasteride pills, shampoo, as well as hair vitamins, which all aim to support the growth of thicker, healthier hair, while also preventing further hair loss.
We recommend Manual for hair loss treatment because the products use research-backed ingredients that may be effective for treating hair loss conditions, such as male pattern hair loss. We also like that the physicians at Manual offer product recommendations based on each individual’s needs, as well as ongoing support throughout treatment.
In this Manual hair loss treatment review, we discuss its pros and cons, as well as benefits and potential side effects. We also compare Manual to other companies that offer hair loss treatments, including Numan, Hims, and Sons, so you can make an informed decision when selecting the best hair loss treatment products for your needs.
Manual Hair Loss Pros & Cons
- May be a more affordable and accessible, research-backed treatment option for male pattern hair loss
- Personalized medication is discreetly shipped right to your doorstep
- May effectively slow down and/or help prevent hair loss in some individuals
- Treatment is managed by licensed medical doctors, who monitor your progress and answer any questions that may come up
- Offers finasteride and minoxidil, which are considered the main treatments for male pattern hair loss
- Results will vary, and not everyone is a candidate for these specific hair loss treatments
- Some treatments may have side effects, which will need to be discussed with your healthcare provider prior to beginning medication
- May take 4-6 months before you notice any results, which may not work for some individuals
Benefits: Does Manual Hair Loss Treatment Work?
Manual hair loss treatment focuses on two medicines, finasteride and minoxidil, which are both considered the main treatments for male pattern hair loss in the UK. In addition, they offer hair vitamins, as well as shampoo, which both contain key ingredients that may help support hair growth and scalp health.
Manual Oral Finasteride Pills
Finasteride works by blocking the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a hormone linked to hair loss. By reducing DHT levels, finasteride helps to prevent further hair loss and promotes hair growth.
In a long-term 10 year study of over 500 individuals with male pattern hair loss, researchers found that:
- Individuals showed significant hair growth improvement based on both objective and subjective evaluations.
- No one in the study experienced serious side effects.
- Individuals experienced symptom improvement, with prevention of further condition progression.
Manual Minoxidil Hair Loss Spray
Minoxidil is a vasodilator medication used to improve blood flow to the hair follicles. When applied, it widens blood vessels, which increases blood flow and may encourage new hair growth.
While it is not exactly known how it specifically works, research notes that minoxidil:
- Significantly increases hair growth at both 2% and 5% strengths
- May shift the hair cycle to the anagen, or growth, phase
- Increases hair thickness
Manual Hair Loss Shampoo
The Manual Hair Loss Power Shampoo uses ingredients, like biotin, caffeine, and saw palmetto, which may support scalp health, as well as hair growth, however more research is needed.
Research notes that:
- Biotin may improve hair growth in individuals who have a biotin deficiency.
- Caffeine has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects and may stimulate hair growth when applied topically to the scalp.
- Saw palmetto has been associated with improved hair quality, as well as hair growth when applied topically.
Manual Hair Loss Vitamins
Manual’s daily hair loss vitamins include ingredients, like selenium, vitamin C, vitamin E, CoEnzyme Q10, Niacin (B3), and Riboflavin (B2), which may help address nutritional deficiencies contributing to hair loss.
Vitamins and minerals play a role in the hair growth cycle and supplementing certain vitamins and minerals may help prevent further hair loss and encourage new hair growth, especially in those with nutrient deficiencies. However, more research is needed.
Access to Expert Clinicians
Manual offers ongoing clinical support from licensed medical professionals throughout the treatment process. In addition to the free assessment offered, you’ll be able to contact your healthcare provider via phone, chat, and email to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
Individuals who have consistently used the product for at least 180 days and have booked two free online consultations are entitled to a full refund if they don’t experience any progress in their hair loss treatment. You’ll need to submit photos of your hair at the start of treatment and every 30 days after the fact to document any changes.
Subscriptions are customised based on your needs and allow for the most convenient and effective treatment possible. You can also cancel anytime, without any hidden fees or extra charges.
Side Effects of Manual’s Hair Loss Treatment
Side effects of finasteride may include:
- Decreased sex drive
- Difficulty maintaining an erection
- Ejaculation issues
- Testicle pain
It’s important to note that the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) issued a safety alert for finasteride and its potential to lead to rare side effects, like depression and suicidal thoughts, making it incredibly important to weigh the benefits against the risks with your healthcare provider prior to beginning treatment.
Minoxidil may lead to side effects, including:
- Scalp burning or itching
- Skin inflammation
- Scalp flaking
Manual Hair Loss Reviews From Their Customers
Overall, individuals seem pleased with their Manual Hair Loss treatment results, as well as the high level of service provided by the Manual team.
The Verdict: Is Manual Good for Hair Loss?
Manual hair loss products work best for individuals who want a comprehensive hair loss program, with ongoing clinical support. The products may work best for individuals who are in the early to moderate stages of hair loss and prefer non-invasive treatment options.
The convenience of multiple subscription options, coupled with customized care and discreet delivery make Manual a convenient choice for those who want to use research-backed hair loss treatments.
Frequently Asked Questions
Manual products have varying price points, depending on the product and whether it is an individual or a combination treatment package. In general, prices can start as low as £19.
According to the company, it can take 3-6 months before treatment begins to work.
In general, Manual’s topical products are applied daily, sometimes twice a day and oral medication is taken once a day. It’s best to take or apply the products at the same time every day. Your Manual physician will review your specific medication instructions with you prior to beginning treatment.
We conducted extensive research to evaluate the pricing, effectiveness, accessibility, and overall quality of Manual’s hair loss products, including examining multiple competitors.
Other factors we investigated prior to choosing Manual included the level of customer support, as well as additional benefits offered. Manual stood out for its wide range of subscription options and high level of clinical support for individuals experiencing symptoms associated with male pattern hair loss.